Music Therapy is an effective treatment for people of all ages. Usually music therapists are specialized based on the population of the person; some of those populations include: people diagnosed with intellectual delays, hospital patients, early intervention or school aged children, folks receiving hospice care, individuals diagnosed with psychiatric needs and people living in assisted living or long term care.
But, what about combining these populations together? JoAnn Jordan is a pioneer in the area of intergenerational music therapy groups; these are groups that include both children and older adult participants. In this edition of the Music Therapy Round Table, guest JoAnn Jordan will tell us about her work with intergenerational music therapy groups.
JoAnn Jordan is a board certified music therapist with a passion for intergenerational groups. With over 30 years as a music therapist and 25 years of working in senior living communities, she brings a wealth of experiences to share. In August 2009, she started Music Sparks to provide music therapy and enrichment services for the young and old in and around Hays, Kansas. JoAnn started her blog Music Sparks that November. The site offers resources for caregivers of young and of old. Even more ideas are available through the twice a month free newsletter “Bright Ideas”. The Music Sparks website also has resources to help you step into intergenerational programming. Along with the many intergenerational blog posts you will find “5 Steps to Fired-up Intergenerational Programs” which walks you through the formation process. An e-book “Sparking Lives with Themes and Music” was fashioned to speed preparation in creating successful intergenerational programs for preschoolers and older adults. From now until November 1, 2013, $5 of each book purchase is being given to the American Music Therapy Association.
Items mentioned in the episode
- [RESOURCE] Music Sparks – JoAnn’s blog
- [RESOURCE] E-Book “Sparking Lives with Themes and Music”, written by JoAnn Jordan
- [RESOURCE] Book Musical Bridges: Intergenerational Music Programs
- [RESOURCE] Book Music Therapy and Geriatric Populations
- [ANNOUNCEMENT]MusicWorx Inc. is celebrating its 15th year as an internship site. Our own Kimberly is an alumna of the MusicWorx internship.
- [ANNOUNCEMENT] We want to give a special thank you to the supporters of Music Therapy Pro. These supporters give discounts to all Music Therapy Pro members:
- [SUNDAY SUCCESS] Courtney Biddle says “I hired a new employee to take over for my maternity leave (which is coming up Oct. 1st!!), and he will be staying on after I come back because we are getting so busy!” Congratulations Courtney! On your new employee, growing business and your upcoming bundle of joy!
What do you think?
What do you think? We always welcome comments and questions. Simply fill out the comment field below to let us know what you think.
Subscribe for free!
Come join us!
Do you love the Music Therapy Round Table podcast? If so, come join us at Music Therapy Pro, a premier online resource for music therapists like you! We look forward to seeing you there.