Episode 19: Investing in Professional Development

by MTRT on August 16, 2011

Investing in Professional Development

The training and professional growth necessary to become a music therapist–or any type of education and healthcare professional–doesn’t end when you receive your diploma. Investing in conferences, trainings, and other types of professional development activities is a vital part of the growth, development, and health of your professional self and, as a music therapist, helps to make sure you maintain your board certification!

In Episode #19 of the Music Therapy Round Table, we discuss the importance of professional development, plus we’ll share different ways we contribute towards our professional growth and development.

Items mentioned in the episode

What do you think?

We always welcome comments and questions. Simply fill out the comment field below to let us know what you think.

Listen to the latest episode here or subscribe by email for free to automatically get new episodes sent to you.

Come join us!

Do you love the Music Therapy Round Table podcast? If so, come join us at Music Therapy Pro, a premier online resource for music therapists like you! We look forward to seeing you there.

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

Kat Fulton August 16, 2011 at 10:52 am

Totally relate to safety behind a computer, Michelle =) Great cast, ladies.

Rachel See Smith August 16, 2011 at 11:39 am

Great podcast, ladies!

Kimberly, I think FreshBooks is a fabulous resource (I use it, too!)

I just wanted to add that there was an article I saw via Mashable that mentioned FreshBooks along with 4 other handy business apps that music therapists may be interested in: http://mashable.com/2011/08/15/finance-management-apps/?utm_source=iphoneapp&utm_medium=rss&utm_content=textlink&utm_campaign=iphoneapp

Keep up the great work KMR! :)

Roxy Roth August 31, 2011 at 11:37 pm

For booking and invoicing, may I also suggest Appointy.com. Clients can book/register online and it links with paypal. You can also set it up as part of your facebook page. I luv it because it also syncs with my google calendar.

Props again to another great podcast :)

MTRT September 6, 2011 at 2:27 pm

What great suggestions Roxy and Rachel–Thank you!

Yeşim Özbabacan September 2, 2011 at 12:24 pm

As I was making some investigations on the internet about where in Canada I should study Music Therapy, I came across to your website and your e-mail.

Although I searched very much to get to know which is the best university in Canada, I couldn’t find any relevant information. As for now, I know the names of the universities where Music Therapy can be studied in Canada but other than the information given in the websites of the universities, I couldn’t find any objective data comparing the ranking of these universities, or forums in which such information can be exchanged between graduates and students. For me it’s very important to get a bachelors degree and to be the graduate of a university of which diploma is regarded as highly esteemed.

I thought that maybe you could have some information to guide me or maybe you could give me some web addresses.

I would appreciate very much your help on this issue, if you could.

Yours sincerely,

Yeşim Özbabacan

MTRT September 6, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Hello Yesim–This is Kimberly and you emailed me about the exact same topic! :) I hope my reply to you helped you meet you needs and give you some ideas. Best of luck to you as you take your next steps forward! ~Kimberly